History of Alanya
Alanya is a city located on the southern coast of Turkey. It is located 138 km east of Antalya and at the western end of the Alanya Peninsula between the Taurus Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea. The history of Alanya dates back to ancient times.
In ancient times, Alanya was known as "Korakesion" and was part of Pisidia. It was controlled by the Persian Empire in the 4th century BC and later conquered by the Macedonian Kingdom. It was then ruled by the Kingdom of Pergamon, the Roman Empire, and the Byzantine Empire.
In 1220, the Seljuk Sultan Alaeddin Keykubat captured Alanya and built many structures in the city. The Alanya Castle was rebuilt during this period and has since become a symbol of Alanya.
During the Ottoman Empire, Alanya remained an important port city and its commercial life flourished. However, after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire, Alanya remained under the control of the Karaman Beylik for a while before rejoining the Ottoman Empire in 1471.
In the 20th century, Alanya rapidly modernized and its tourism sector developed significantly. Today, Alanya is one of Turkey's most popular tourist destinations and is visited by thousands of tourists year-round.
The history of Alanya is rich due to the many civilizations that have left their marks. Ancient cities, ruins, and historical structures are popular tourist attractions. Additionally, places such as Alanya Castle, Damlataş Cave, Kleopatra Beach, and Dim Cave also attract tourists.
In conclusion, the history of Alanya has a rich past and bears the traces of many civilizations. Ancient ruins and historical structures are popular tourist attractions and the modern tourism sector of Alanya contributes to the city's development.